[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4732: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3867)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4734: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3867)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4735: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3867)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4736: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3867)
Forums Beroux.com • View topic - 5-9 stones

5-9 stones

Discuss whatever!

5-9 stones

Postby Zugswang » 14 Dec 2007, 16:44

Help me come up with starting positions with 5 to 9 pieces played. The tourney rules (which i just posted) say each team can submit positions for the tourney to use. So like we've been doing in the Project Connect4 thread, let's make problems, but here we can limit it to 5-9 stones. But here not just problems; any position that leads to a difficult game (whereas before we were only focusing on making 1 difficult move to solve). So even if White's move is easy from the position, his next moves might be hard for him.

Aim the problems at the 1st player, like the rules say. If it's a 5, 7 or 9 stone position, that means it's Black's turn, but that's okay. If you have a good moves for Black (meaning, 6th, 8th or 10th moves), specify them.

oh and the positions don't have to start with 1) D1. Errors are allowed (in fact as many as 8 errors). As long as the position gives White the chance of winning (in other words, Black must be the one to make the last error, if any are made, and the error must lead to a loss, not a draw).

RE-EDIT (lol) : everything above is true, i was mistaken when i edited it and said they can't have errors.
fstal86 aka div0ckrehnee aka entr0py aka Frank :)
Zugswang

1st tournament task

Postby Teachme2play » 15 Dec 2007, 21:51

Since I've lost fraps, and I don't want to re-install it, I can't make a snapshot of the position (use your imagination, or vianiato)

1. B1?? - F1??
2. E1 - F2
3. F3? - C1!

Where now?

And another, similar

1. B1?? - F1??
2. E1 - B2
This is 10% luck,
20% skill,
15% concentrated power of will,
5% pleasure,
50% pain,
and a 100% reason to remember the game!
Teachme2play

Re: 5-9 stones

Postby Zugswang » 15 Dec 2007, 23:29

Zugswang

Postby Teachme2play » 16 Dec 2007, 18:44

If I heard you correctly, on the tournament, you will tell your opponent where to put his 3-5 first counters and vice versa, right? So, IMHO almost every competitor will ask you to start with A1/G1, right? - Like in reversed, the best (theoretically) responce is G1/A1. So I advise you to look closely to such position - try to remember as much continuations, as possible:

1. My opponent asks me tu put in A1 - I ask him to put in G1.
2. G2 -A2
3. A3 (if I understood correctly this is the moment, when players start playing on their own on 5-counter rule - in 7-counter would be also 3. ... - G3, 4. G4. etc.)
So my opponent plays D1 and reaches a winning position.

Try to invent such continuations, that are likely to make him make a mistake, and lose.

BTW. I'v been trying to invent an opening on such rules:
1. I am white (so the game starts with my counter being put by my opponent)
2. It's a 5-counter opening
3. My opponent always puts my counters in A/G column.

I've been through lots of such openings, but every one I develop enables my opponent to win by 3. ... - D1 move.
The goal is to find one that makes 3. ... - D1 lose or get a draw. I think it would be good before the tournament.

Of course, we should also look on these positions, as if we were playing 3. ... - D1, and think of continuations leading to our win.
This is 10% luck,
20% skill,
5% pleasure,
50% pain,
Teachme2play

Postby Zugswang » 16 Dec 2007, 19:17

Zugswang

Postby Teachme2play » 16 Dec 2007, 22:03

I believe I'll be avialable everyday between 8-9pm CET+1h (that's 1-2pm your time) as guest #189, so we may do some practice.
This is 10% luck,
20% skill,
5% pleasure,
50% pain,
Teachme2play

Re: 1st tournament task

Postby Wernight » 03 Jun 2008, 07:24

Wernight
Site Admin
Site Admin